If you have a law degree and now want to be admitted as a lawyer, the GDLP is the final piece in the jigsaw.
Practice legal training is a compulsory requirement to be admitted as a barrister and solicitor in Australia. The University of Adelaide, in partnership with the Law Society of South Australia, offers a GDLP designed to accommodate the needs of local, interstate and international law graduates who wish to train for the legal profession.
- An accelerated program allows you to combine work with study and complete in 6 months.* Current Bachelor of Laws in final year and LLB students completed all Priestley 11 subjects can also apply. Study concurrently with your undergraduate studies.
- Practical face-to-face legal training; advocacy training delivered in the District Court by experienced practitioners.
- Flexible study modes include: intensive, weekends, after work hours available.
- Legal Practice placements and gain valuable experience over 6 weeks and help you expand your professional networks.
- Designed and taught by Law society practitioners - South Australian judges, barristers and solicitors to ensure that you develop invaluable practical skills.
- Build relationships with legal professionals and potential future employers.
- Direct admission to practice in South Australia and reciprocal admission nationally.
- Access law alumni and established networks of legal professionals.
- The opportunity to receive prizes and scholarships.
- Barrister, Solicitor, Lawyer
I chose Adelaide because it was an on-site course and this suited my personal circumstances. As a mature-age student with a young family, taking time out to come on-site and study meant I was able to compartmentalise study time. An online course would have been more difficult. I also was challenged in getting enough work experience time. The lower amount of placement time required by this GDLP suited my part-time role. The quality of every single lecturer we had was outstanding. All were experts in their field and excellent teachers.Mark Ferraretto - Graduate lawyer at Kain Lawyers
I was working full-time before commencing this postgraduate course and have continued to work full-time throughout the course. University of Adelaide Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice program offered a more practical, hands on approach to postgraduate legal study The Practical Legal Training aspect of this program was an incredible experience. I completed mine at the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution. An insight into this workplace for six weeks has helped me shape my career path, put me in touch with some inspiring practitioners and realise that my passion is criminal prosecution.Melissa Wegener - Briefing Officer for the Department for Education and Child Development
Need further information?
The Adelaide Law School has dedicated Program Advisors who can help you with detailed enquiries about our suite of Law degrees. If you require assistance, please contact the: Adelaide Law School by email, or phone +61 (8) 8313 5063 and the Law Society of South Australia by email, or phone +61 8 8229 0200.