The Adelaide Law School welcomes visiting scholars to contribute to the academic life of the school through the exchange of ideas and research, and the creation of research collaborations with Adelaide Law School staff.
- Visiting scholars are self-funded (this potentially includes visa fees) and require a sponsor from within the Adelaide Law School to support the application.
- Visiting scholars will usually have continuing appointments at other universities or academic institutions. They are expected to return to their home institutions at the end of their visit.
- There is no application fee at present for the visitor program.
- Where the visitor is from another academic institution (or industry, government, business or a Not-For-Profit organisation) then the expectation is that the visitor’s home institution/organisation will provide insurance cover for the duration of their visit to UoA.
Before applying for the visiting scholars program:
- Applicants need to make contact with member of academic staff in the law school to ask whether they are willing to sponsor the visit.
- Send an e-mail including your research plan and current curriculum vitae to a faculty member working in your area and ask if they might be willing to act as your sponsor.
- Sponsors will be required to provide you with an email or letter indicating their willingness to serve as a sponsor for your visit and a statement describing the benefits of your visit to the Law School, including the potential for ongoing research and collaborations.
Application and supplementary materials
Once you have secured an academic staff sponsor:
Please complete the Visiting Scholar Application Form below and send it to the email address indicated on the form. In addition to the application form, please include the following supporting documents:
- Current curriculum vitae (including name, position, and contact information of 2 referees).
- Letter from the Dean/Department Head/supervisor at home institution on letterhead paper indicating support for visit to Adelaide and confirming continuing academic appointment.
- Copy of the e-mail or letter from an Adelaide Law School academic staff member in support of your application.
- A one to two page research plan.
Deadlines and acceptance
- All visitors need to complete the Visiting Scholar Application Form. We suggest you allow between 6-12 months prior to your visit to allow for support letters and visa processing times.
- Applications are reviewed quarterly by the Dean of Law.
- We will notify you on receipt of your application. If your application is accepted, you will receive a letter of invitation.
- Once you have received a letter of invitation from the Law School, it is your responsibility to determine what visa you require. Visa information can be found on the University of Adelaide website, or through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
Please note that the Adelaide Law School receives many applications from prospective visitors, and due to space restrictions not all applications will be successful.
Note: A fee may be charged depending on the length of stay requested by the visitor.